Thursday, January 13, 2011

Two and a Half

Caroline turned 2 1/2 Jan. 10. She was all smiles when I went to get her from her crib, and told me, "I had a good nap!" Usually Austin gets her up, but being the first day back to school after Christmas break, everyone was still sleeping at 7:15.

I went to make breakfast, and Caroline was pouting and sucking her thumb, whimpering. Me: "What do you need?"

C, pitifully, "Milky..." I thought we'd start weaning today. Guess she has other plans! Soon though. I'm all for extended nursing, but 2 1/2 seems to be old enough to be done, to me!

C: "Can I go to school too? Can I get a cafeteria lunch?"
Lauren answers sweetly, "When you are 5 and go to Kindergarten, you can get a cafeteria lunch..."


I did laundry, and Caroline hung around, not sure what to do without her siblings home. "I'm hungry. Can I have a snack? What me want?"

Energy level picked up after the snack, and she danced and sang and read books on her own while I vacuumed.

Went outside to take her picture. C asks, "I have Smarties?" Smarties are her bribe. She gets them for standing still and smiling. But mostly for standing still! She's a busy girl! We discussed the color of every. single. one. "Dis one's lellow. Dis one's pink. Dis one's kind of peach..."

C hears an airplane: "Where's dat airpane? I can't see it!" We hear another plane a little later. "Dere it is! I see it! I can't wreach it! It's too higher! You wreach it!" I try, and tell her I can't reach it either! ;)


She eats leftover cheeseburger and some berries for lunch. As usual, she asks, "Can I have a bite? Can I eat dis?"

During lunch: Me: "I wonder when Aunt Annette's going to have her baby..." C: "You my baby, Mommy?" Meaning she wants me to ask her, "Are you my baby?" To which she replies, "Yes. I your baby." Then, "Aunt Annette have a baby. Aunt Annette's baby is Anlaliese!" Like of course, I should know that already! She shouldn't have to tell me!

Singing, while waiting to be cleaned up after lunch, "God made me. God made me! In my Bible book I read dat God makes me."

Read Curious George Goes to the Library and Kindergarten, Here I Come before nap. Put her to bed, and she asks, "Can I wake up?" I tell her she can wake up when we get Lauren from school.


At snack time, Lauren says, "I want a few." (Triscuits) Caroline points at L's snack and says, "You got some few! You got some few!" Seeing L already had a snack, Club crackers with cheese.

I was in the office later, and C comes up to me, and out of the blue says, "Knock knock, who's there? Stinky, stinky underwear!" And laughed! I asked her where she learned that, and she said, "Pinkalicious!" Sure enough, Lauren confirmed that joke is from a Pinkalicious book.

I wrote those little things down on the 10th, but wanted to add one from yesterday. We were driving to do errands, and Caroline was singing so sweetly the ABC song, with our Party Like a Preschooler CD. I told her, "You sing so pretty! I like hearing you sing!" We got to WalMart, and walking through the parking lot, C gave me a big hug and said, "I like when you talk to me, Mommy! I like hearing you talk!" Awwww....

Other notes about Caroline at 2 1/2:

*Loves books! Loves anyone to read her stories and looking at them herself.
*Has many stories memorized. Like Julia at 2 1/2. So interesting how alike those two are in the language/verbal/reading area.
*Loves to sing. Also has many songs memorized.
*Likes playing with her Keri Snap-n-Style doll she got for Christmas.
*Likes most fruit, still very, very picky! Prefers processed meat like chicken nuggets, hot dogs, deli ham over fresh meat. Doesn't like any pasta, including macaroni and cheese and spaghetti. Eats a few veggies.
*Knows all the colors or the rainbow, including gray, brown, black white. Calls mixed colors like turquoise, blue or green, depending which they are closer too.
*Has an attitude sometimes! Not toooo "terrible two-ish", but she can throw fits and ends up in her bed to sit for awhile.
*Always excited to go to Sunday School and loves doing crafts there.
*Likes coloring, painting, gluing, and drawing with a pencil in her own notebooks. I think she's trying to be a big kid!

No comments: