
The three oldest kids started school August 16. Julia and Lauren were so ready. Lauren told me about a week before that she couldn't wait to go back to school; that she loves school! Austin said he'd rather have summer last a little longer; that he didn't want homework. I agree with Austin! Not b/c of homework, but that is part of it, I guess. It is just that, with the school year comes a nice routine, but also life gets crazy busy!!!!
Julia began middle school, and was very excited! She is at her own school now, with just 7th and 8th graders. Lauren says she will miss having Julia at her school. :(
Julia's school starts at 7:54 am. She gets up at 6 to get ready; I wake up at 6:05-ish to get ready and make everyone breakfast. She could make her own by now, but since I have to make everyone else's, might as well get hers too.
Brian brought Julia to school the first day. From here on out, her friend Julia G's dad will take the two Julias and one other girl to school on his way to work. He comes to our house at 7:15. He drops off their younger daughter, Lauren's friend Emily, to stay and play here and then walk to school with us.
We leave the house about 8:35 to walk to school. I think this is going to be easy this year! Since everyone is up and dressed, and eating breakfast, about a half hour earlier b/c of Julia's new schedule. The elementary school starts at 9 am.
New backpacks! Last year, the kids all used their backpacks from the previous year. Austin and Lauren's were trashed: holes, ripped, faded, dirty! Julia's was in fairly good shape, but faded.
The two Julias get out of middle school at 2:10. I drive 8.4 miles to pick them up. It takes about 12 minutes, according to Mapquest, and the few times I've driven it. I had to look at a map and directions the first few times I drove to the middle school. It is aways out, nowhere near the freeway, though I do take Highway 1 part of the way. I have to take a few windy country roads to get there! We get back home at about 2:35 - 2:40.
These two had simple math homework the first two days of school, and I got such a kick out of them. I thought they'd want to go out and jump on the trampoline or visit or something. But no--both of them got out their little bit of homework and set right to finish it. Such studious girls!
Julia G stays at our house till about 3:20 when I leave to go pick up Austin and Lauren at their school. Julia G comes with me, while Julia B stays home with Caroline. Julia G gets dropped off to wait with her sister at the elementary school for their mom to come pick them up (she teaches in Santa Maria).
I actually woke up 1/2 hour late on the first day of school! My alarm never went off. I'd pushed a wrong button somewhere the night before, and the display was only flashing in the morning, when Brian woke me up. Thankfully he helped get everyone ready, and we had a simple cinnamon roll breakfast planned.
I took this picture after school b/c we were too rushed in the morning!
All the kids got new lunchboxes this year, b/c again, they'd used their's from last year for two years, and they are trashed! Especially Lauren's. Julia's was in the best shape, but she didn't seem too eager to take her purple and yellow lunchbox with a cute little, whimsical pink kitty on it, to Jr. High. ;) Lauren wanted her lunchbox, backpack, Thermos and soup container to all match, and was able to find all matching Barbie things! She was quite pleased about that!
Julia and Lauren happily picked out a new outfit and shoes for the first day of school. Austin chose an old t-shirt--so he wouldn't have to "waste time" cutting off tags! Such a boy. I asked him if he wanted to wear a new shirt.
Austin: "...I don't know...."
Me: "Do you want Birds or DC or stripes?"
Austin: "...I don't know..." I chose a DC shirt, and Julia said to choose the blue one. Because blue is a good color on him. :) Friday and Saturday he chose to wear new shirts, so I guess he must have decided it was worth it to rip off the tags! He chose his camo shorts himself (they're his favorite).
Brian taught Austin to tie his shoes. Yippee! Should/could he have learned earlier? Probably. But he had convenient, easy Velcro and didn't need to! So we never had to teach him till now. Lauren said she could give him shoe-tying lessons. LOL She had to learn last year when she picked out Tinkerbell shoes with laces. But Julia was also in 4th grade when she learned.
Lauren at her desk. I haven't been in Austin's class yet, or met his teacher, though I've heard she is wonderful! I didn't request for him this year, but she is the teacher I most hoped he'd get. For Lauren, I just requested that she not get a certain teacher. She ended up getting the person her teacher from 1st grade recommended, so I'm happy with that. :)
All three kids came home happy and excited! They were all full of news about their fun first day back.






No comments:
Post a Comment