Saturday, June 21, 2008

Desperation

It has been SO hot here. Yesterday it got to 113!! And 88 in the house. It was miserable. We went out for dinner by the beach, and there was actually a cooler breeze there, and it was quite pleasant. Also yesterday in Santa Maria it got to 110, and that not only broke the record for the day (not sure what it was), but 110 is the highest temperature ever recorded in Santa Maria on any day! Ever! The last highest temp recorded was 109 in 1929!

Today it was a tiny bit cooler, I saw 104 somewhere and Brian read it was predicted to be 99. Still got to 87 inside! We absolutely did not want to spend another day in our hot house! Nor be outside in the hot sun! We ended up taking Austin and Lauren to see Kung Fu Panda at the movie theater. And that is where the desperate part comes in. We haven't seen a movie at the theater in 3.5 years. I can remember Brian and I saw Christmas with the Kranks on a date the last time. I guess we've taken the kids to the drive-in twice, once to see Cars, and once to see Ratatouille. Anyway. Brian was laughing at me because normally, to get me to go to a movie, it will have to be a *really* *really* good one, for me to agree to spend so much $$ on the tickets! ;) The only kid-friendly movie we found was Kung Fu Panda, so that is what we saw! Austin was glued to the screen the entire time. Lauren got antsy about halfway through. She did enjoy eating popcorn though. We went out to lunch at air-conditioned Carl's Jr. afterwards. Then back home to our hot house. At least tonight it is cooler. The red-flag warning is supposed to lift at 1 a.m. As it was 87 inside, and close to or over 100 outside, Brian said it was too hot to BBQ. I said if it was too hot to BBQ, it for sure was too hot to cook in the house! He agreed, and we ordered pizza. :) We talked about getting Subway $5 footlong subs and going to the beach, but we were all just laying around. Nobody felt like doing anything!!

Here is what I made for us this afternoon. Very refreshing! My version of a frappuccino. :)

The recipe:

1 c. milk
3/4 c. double-strength coffee, chilled (just add two scoops/tablespoons to one cup/*serving* water in the coffee maker)
3 Tb. sugar (I used Splenda, 1.5 Tb. was too sweet for me, I thought just under 2 tsp. was about right)
2 c. ice

Blend in the blender! Top with whipped cream if you like. I also added some baking cocoa powder to a couple of these, and that was good too.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yummo! I missed this post b/c we were gone to the beach. Wade would love this (as would I).

I bet you wish you had A/C in this heat! :) We have not had it get that hot here in the south but it's stayed in the 90s a lot. The last two or three days it's only been getting to the mid 70s and it has felt wonderful.