
Austin requested a Star Wars cake. I told him I didn't know how to make one, and he came up with the entire plan himself. He wanted a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. He wanted a cliff, and showed me where to cut the cake to make the cliff. Then he arranged his Star Wars Lego guys on top in a battle. He told me who was climbing up, who was shooting who, who was dead on the cake... Such a boy!

I told him to show me 8 fingers... Thinking about it:

Then he got silly with 8 fingers.

With his presents

With his sisters and his presents. Julia said, "It's not my birthday. Why do I have to be in the pictures?!"

He was very happy about his new Star Wars Legos.

Brian's mom came up for the weekend to celebrate with us.

The birthday boy before we sang to him.
That weekend:
*Brian's mom came with us to the soccer field and watched Austin and Lauren's games with us. Austin's team played a very hard opponent, and he scored the only goal for his team. That's my boy! I wish I'd had the video camera, as he got the ball and took off running, pumping his arms so he could run faster. An opponent tried to steal the ball, but Austin got it back and scored the goal! We were so proud of him!
*She babysat the kids while Brian and I went to a Farm Bureau dinner for his work.
*We found out my grandma (dad's mom) died, October 2.
*Sunday the 3rd, Brian and I spent hours looking for plane tickets for the girls and I to fly up to WA for the funeral. Brian had already planned to take Austin camping Oct. 8 -9, so they didn't need tickets.
*Sunday night we told Austin to come sit down for dinner. He'd been sitting on the floor playing Legos in the family room, and started crying, "I can't get up! My legs hurt!" He had lots of red round welts on both legs, with what looked like a bite in the center. Brian, his mom, and I didn't know what they were.
We thought maybe flea bites, since the cats have had them recently. The welts were all over, and 1 -2" in diameter. None of us had seen flea bites like that before, but we didn't know what else it could be. I talked to the on-call doctor who said to give Austin Benedryl, but also thought he should be seen the next day. Brian had to carry Austin to bed that night, as his legs hurt too much for him to walk!
Our regular dr. ordered a blood test for Austin, and said he suspected Purpura. Which I'd never heard of before. The blood test was to make sure Austin's platelet count was normal, as the welt swelling had gone down, but there was bruising under them that Monday. So weird! Anyway, the blood test results came back Mon. afternoon (Oct. 4), and thankfully everything was normal!
The dr. said Austin did have Purpura, specifically H.S. Purpura. Austin's spots didn't look like the ones in that link, but more like in this link. Our dr. said they might spread to his thighs--they'd only been below his knees--and sure enough, they spread. Even up to and on his bottom! I was glad we'd had the blood test, as it was all so odd, I think I would have worried about leukemia or ???? otherwise! Austin's knees and ankles hurt, for several days, but were much better by the end of the week. He was limping all day Monday, the 4th. And now, almost 2 weeks later, it's all just a memory.


No comments:
Post a Comment