Saturday, March 26, 2011

March Randomness

Looking through my blog pictures folder, and realized the random shots piling up again!

I wrote several weeks ago about Bailey disappearing. We last saw him the morning of Feb. 12. He didn't return, so we assumed he'd gotten caught by a wild animal or maybe adopted another family. ?? Well, the morning of Julia's birthday, there he was, meowing at the back door! Crazy! He was gone 2 wks. and 1 day. He wasn't hungry (didn't race to food bowl) and didn't seem thin. He obviously had eaten just fine on his "vacation" from us.


He's such a friendly cat, and has always been good around the kids.


Picture 1: Caroline got this little notebook for Christmas and has pretty much filled it up with doodling. She thinks she writing names, and will spell them out loud as she writes: "C. A. L. T. P. O... Caroline." Or, "C. A. E. R. S. M....Austin." Things like that. ;) All her "letters" look like O's. She scribbles in it and thinks she's such a big kid writing all that.

Picture 2: Lauren was awarded Spark of the Month for March!


Her leader called and told me beforehand so I could bring the camera. Lauren has completed her regular Awana book, the review book, an extra credit book, and is now working on her Bible Bees Extra, Extra Credit Book! Her leader wrote that on the nomination form, and also that she is attentive at Council Time and enthusiastically takes part in games. And, that she is courteous and follows directions willingly. Yay, Lauren!! She was most serious receiving her certificate. :)


March 6, girls in their matching outfits. Cute!! My little Lauren is getting so tall. She tells me she is the tallest kid in her class, and "even taller than the boys who are 6. Isn't that funny?" :) I tell her it is a good thing to be tall! Anyway, it is what it is. But she is growing out of all her size 6 clothes!


March 9 I went to the outlet mall and bought myself new sneakers! This really is something to make note of. Hee hee. My old gray Adidas are almost 6 years old. I bought them when Lauren was brand new. I remember taking all three (at the time) kids to Mervyn's to buy Brian a b'day present and got myself new tennies as well. I circled some particular signs of wear: rubber sole worn through to foam (?), tack in sole, worn out back heel part. I've worn these old shoes walking to school [almost] every day for 4 2/3 years. They've been worn 3 whole days at SeaWorld, 1 day at Legoland, 9 days at Disney/CA Adventures, and numerous zoo, park, and hiking trips. They served me well! Maybe I should write an ad for Adidas. LOL My bright, new Nikes are on the left.


Cute Caroline. She wanted me to take her picture when I was photgraphing the shoes. ;) Drives me nuts her shirt does that funny curve thing at the neck.


March 11: Sad, sad day! I was in the shoe dept. at Target and noticed my main diamond of my wedding (engagement) ring was gone!! I must have looked horrified (?), because another customer asked me, "Are you ok?!" I retraced my steps through Target and back to the van, and didn't find the diamond. Didn't really expect to, but thought, well, you never know... Realized how many millions of pieces of quartz and glitter there are in the Target parking lot and aisles though. ;) It may not even have fallen out at Target; could be at home, in the van, in the park, etc...

I've told several people about my missing diamond, and it seems the same thing has happened to lots of others. Seems about 1/2 find them, 1/2 don't. I called Brian right away when I realized the stone was gone, and he said, ever calm and gracious, "Well, we'll have to get you a new one. Brian told the kids he'd pay them $10 if they found my diamond, and Julia kind of smirked, "How about adding another couple 0's on that, Daddy." ;)


March 12: Lauren had this set up for a few days in her bedroom. She and Caroline were playing zoo.


March 13: Caroline always wants to into the big kids' toys. Here she's playing with Lauren's Barbie, nicely putting "Barb" (C's name for her) to bed.


Pongo has to have hairball treats every morning. For awhile he was throwing up hairballs about 5 times a week. Gross!! I think his long hair makes the problem worse. Anyway, the treats really help--thankfully! One of the 3 big kids or I give him 10 every morning.


1st weekend of March Brian got Julia's hand-me-downs out of the attic for me to sort through to see what would fit Lauren. It is so crazy how many of the shirts are so short and wide! I took one bathing suit of a box, and it went, "Kcckckckckck," the elastic completely hard? rotten?--not usable anyway! The other bathing suit was all floppy, the elastic totally limp and stretched out. Weird! So Lauren gets new bathing suits. :D Anyway, some PJs are stretched out and short and shrunk. Some shoes are hard and molded strange. Some shirts come out of boxes w/ stains I *know* they didn't have going in the boxes.

I get so frustrated w/ the problems of hand-me-downs, and tell Brian I want to be done w/ them altogether! But, then I find jeans and shorts, and pretty dresses that will still work, and they make the hand-me-downs worth it. Lauren was thrilled to find an old bathrobe (of all things!) in the boxes. :) She organized the piles of clothes we found. The socks and leopard slippers are too small. I didn't have a good system for hand-me-down socks, since they fit for a range of sizes. I finally started putting the too-small ones in one of my dresser drawers so I don't have to hunt very far when the next girl needs them in that size!


March 15 Julia had her 2nd trimester awards ceremony. Other kids are blurred for their privacy. Julia received Perfect Attendance and Honor Roll certificates.


Lauren likes to get the mail when she comes home from school. This day a Target Spring/Easter catalog arrived.


Lauren circled all the things she and Caroline would like and wrote "L" or "C" by them. Sometimes "L" and "C" if she thought they'd both like the toy or candy.


Austin's awards assembly was March 17. I liked seeing most of the kids wearing green for St. Patrick's Day. None of them wanted to be pinched!! ;) Actually, they're not allowed to pinch at school, so the green was just for fun. Austin received a Perfect Attendance award and one for Sportsmanship. His teacher wrote on the back that he earned it for showing sportsmanship at P.E. and also in the classroom, that he's always aware of those who haven't had a turn yet, and willing to help those who havent't yet mastered an idea or concept, and that this is one of those attributes that will serve him well his whole life. :) That's my nice boy, easy-going middle child. (We won't mention the bickering w/ the other middle child. Ahem.)


And to finish the post, the little girls in green, also on St. Patrick's Day. Caroline likes this shirt. She knows the elephants' names, and tells them to us throughout the day: Pinky, Dottie, Peanut. :)

No comments: