Monday, October 17, 2011

New House ~ Garage, Mud Room, Laundry

Garage pictures, all taken before we made an offer, in May.



We thought there was no cover to the attic entrance, but there is, it just was up in the attic. There were also carpet remnants up there.



We wonder about the pink (and other colors!) part of the wall. It's taped off, like maybe the POs let their kids paint here?? Maybe someone tested colors here?? The pink looks like what is in Lauren and Caroline's room... Interesting, anyway. And actually, it's kind of a pretty swirl mess of colors--just wonder about it!



Picture 1: The water softener we were left with. Yikes!! We had a new water softener and RO system put in before we moved in, shortly after closing escrow. We (and the home inspector) assume the POs had a water heater leak, as the water heater is newer (would have to go peek at year, don't remember). Plus you can see the wafer board they used to repair the wall. It is just on the garage side of the walls. The sides inside the house are normal dry wall. This isn't up to fire code though. We do plan to have a handy-man friend redo it at some point.

Picture 2: When we very first looked at the house, there was a wet spot on the cement inside the garage, and this mold/mildew on the drywall. Oh my!! That kind of freaked me out. But--it's an exterior wall, so not near the inside of the house. And--the home inspector and roofer thought gutters would solve the problem of water getting in. We've had some rain, including one really big storm with strong winds, and thankfully the floor was dry afterwards! The gutters did their job. Also, our realtor came by before we moved in w/ a spray bottle of bleach water, and the mold disappeared. The wall is white now, no more mold. Whew!





These were taken in September, going into the house from the garage. We have a small mud room! Someday I want to get a bench with hooks? cubbies? shelves? to put in there. For now I just put an extra end table there, and it works ok. In our 4th bedroom at our last house, we had 3 big cabinets. We bought them from the POs of our 1st house in 1999! Ha ha! Old, but they are so functional! One is Brian's for his papers, keys, etc. Two are for my scrapbook stuff. We put Brian's in the mud room; handy for him.



This was one of the features that made me want to buy the house! It's small, but there is a space for kids to put backpacks, shoes, sweatshirts. Or in the above photos, bags of library books ready to return. I hate having that in/out clutter sitting around the house, but it doesn't bother me in its designated space! Picture from May.



These were taken in Sept., looking from the kitchen, through/into the mud room, to the laundry room. You can see above how the laundry room was kind of a dusty blue. I wanted a fresh spring, apple green. This color is Sherwin Williams' Gleeful. It looked soooo bright right after Brian painted it! We were kind of scared it wouldn't work! But once the washer and dryer were moved in, the green toned down. I think b/c it wasn't reflecting off itself so much. You can see the lights in the soffit. That is totally, completely not my style! Those are going to have to go at some point. What I want to do is have someone put a light in the ceiling, get rid of the entire soffit, and put cabinets above the washer and dryer.




I want to "paint" the cabinets white using Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. Not sure when it will happen, but that's my plan; to have a fresh light green and white room! We bought materials to make a shelf and hanging rack to put on the wall to the side of the toilet. But, haven't gotten to actually putting it up, hence the hangers hanging on the towel bar! I also want to put a mirror above the sink. I have to add, I've never had a laundry sink before, and it has been so handy! It's nice not to have to dump "yuckier" messy water down the kitchen sink or toilet! That's what I used to do... Also nice for leaving a bucket of clothes soaking in OxyClean, instead of having it sit on my kitchen counter.



The laundry room is also our half bath. It gets a ton of use! The kids--especially the youngest 3--use this bathroom all the time! I think that's just fine w/ Julia, as it's like she gets the main one almost to herself. ;) Picture below taken in May of icky, disgusting toilet!! The grout looks pretty gross too. :P I took off all 3 of the old toilet seats myself, from all the bathrooms! And put on two new ones. Brian did one. But he ended up tightening the two I installed, as I guess I wasn't strong enough to get them tight.


I used a pumice stone to scrub the rings, and cleaned them all, thoroughly. The laundry room was the first room I cleaned the night we closed escrow. Wiped out cupboards; Cleaned cabinets w/ Murphey's Oil Soap; scrubbed the sink with Comet; let EdFred "sit" on the faucet and in the sink to get rid of hard water build up and gunk; let vinegar sit on the disgusting grout; cleaned every light switch and outlet plate. I did all the floors right before we moved in. The POs had left a chart up inside one of the cabinet doors--how to treat various stains. Interesting.



Storage cabinets...plan to paint them white.



All the toilet paper holders and towel bars were *gone* when we looked at the house. There were some normal size screw holes left in the walls... And some huge monster holes, like the bars had been ripped right out! I patched all the holes. We replaced all the towel bars and toilet paper holders. The good thing is I got to pick just what I wanted. :) The cat box just fits in the corner. I bought the new hamper before we moved in. The shelf and hanging rack will go above it, on this wall.





I'll also put up a curtain at some point. Considering white... Envisioning sewing one from perfect fabric I have yet to find...charcoal, dusty teal, white and lime green... Hmmm...

No comments: