Saturday, October 8, 2011

Thief

Yesterday I walked home from school, and my friend, Lisa, joined me for part of the way. I bring a bag of toys and books for Caroline to look at, as it's a pretty long walk. It's 1.3 miles one way, from our new house. It takes us 25 minutes to walk to school, then another 25 to walk back. Caroline was trying on her hat and sunglasses while we walked, trying to get attention. Well, it worked. ;) Lisa said I should take her picture, she was so cute. I did as soon as we got home.


We had a big errand day planned: WalMart, outlet mall, Old Navy, and Costco. And Vons! But I didn't make it there till last night. I was checking out at Old Navy, discussing a return with the cashier, making a purchase... Caroline was looking at the trinkets and toys and gum and candy they have by the registers, nice and quiet.

After a bit, she looked up at me with a cute little smile, and said sweetly, "I put gum in my lunchbox..." Like she was pretty pleased with this idea. I told her, just as sweetly, "Ohhh, we didn't pay for that gum, so we can't take it. You need to put it back." She put the gum back in the case, not making a fuss at all. We finished at Old Navy, then went on to Costco.

In the store, I opened Caroline's lunchbox to get her sippy cup. And this is what I saw:


Her lunchbox was stuffed full of gum!! I had no idea! There were 9 packs of gum and mints (in cute little slider tins) in there--$13.50 worth of gum and candy. She'd had 10 packs, and just put the one back.

I showed her big sisters at home, and Lauren was right away divvying up the gum into piles for each of us! I don't think she minded at all her baby sister stole it. She nicely thought we could keep the treats. At dinner we talked about how we don't take things that we don't pay for... Caroline said, "Let's bring the gum back. Take it back to Old Navy..."

I didn't have time to go back to Old Navy after Costco as I had to be home for the big kids getting back at school. I do have to return something later, so will probably take it back then. Do you think Old Navy wants their gum back?!

House pictures coming soon... :)

No comments: