Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Full Hand

Austin told me, as we were leaving the drugstore where we bought candy to decorate his cake, "I'm a full hand now!", and held up his hand, with all five fingers up--five years old! Yesterday was his 5th birthday. I took these in the morning. I always take a few of the birthday kid on his/her actual birthday.




We made a chocolate cake and lemon cupcakes in the morning, with Austin and Lauren helping add ingredients and turning on the mixer. Then we went grocery shopping. Most of the afternoon was spent working on his cake. I am not thrilled with how it turned out. I think it is the saddest cake I have ever made! Seriously. The back window part kept sliiiiiiiding. I kept putting frosting between that and the hood part, and the frosting slowly slid out. It didn't help any that it was a very warm day! There are tons of crumbs in the frosting (looks like dirt in the paint!) and the black frosting didn't want to flow consistently for me. But Austin was very happy with it, and I guess that is what matters!


The rear view


With his presents


He got Bill and Ben, twin Thomas engines, and the Collapsing Sodor Suspension Bridge. When Brian got home from work tonight, he asked if that bridge had collapsed a lot today...which it had. Ha ha


Austin also received his first bike. It was in the garage, where we all went after he opened this gift: a bike helmet. Julia was helping him with the tape on the box. He was very excited about his new bike. The funny thing is, it is bigger than Julia's! Guess she needs a new one too! She got hers when she turned 4, and I think it is a 16" while his is 18". Julia and I went shopping Saturday afternoon, and she picked out a set of remote control cars for Austin at the dollar store. They only go forwards and backwards, and I wonder how long they are going to last, but for now he loves them! She had made a bunch of clues, hidden to lead to the next clue, to lead him to the gift.


Happy Birthday dear Austin..... He was so excited for his birthday, and I think he had a fun day. Tonight we brought the lemon cupcakes for snack to share with the Cubbies at church. Austin chose green frosting with sprinkles to decorate those.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Aw, happy birthday big boy!! I think the cake is CUTE!! I understand your frustration but I could never do half that good.