Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Baby Shower, Eleven Years

Friday night was a baby shower for Caroline and me. My friend Pam wanted to host one for us. I felt a little "funny" about it, not wanting people to feel obligated to give us a gift for the 3rd girl! But, Pam said every baby deserves to be celebrated, and they need to know they are special too (like their siblings), and so they won't think when they look at their baby books, "Why didn't I get a shower?" :D LOL Well, I am all for a party and getting together with my friends, and of course, they all brought gifts. But I would [and have] done the same for friends who've had showers for their 3rd and 4th kids. And it's fun and I don't think anything of it, so hopefully my friends felt the same.

Anyway. The shower was at Pam's house. We played two games: one where they passed around jars of baby food and we had to guess what was inside. And one where we had to check off items on a list, of things that were in our purse. The ladies prayed for our family and Caroline, and Pam handed out a list of 12 things to pray for your kids. You focus on one a month. Things like that they will know Christ as Savior at a young age, that they will respect those in authority over them, that they will be kept from the wrong mate and saved for the right one, etc.

The gift below, my friend Kari made, both the hat and the nursing smock/apron thing. She said in the stores those smocks are called "hooter hiders"!!! LOL Oh my. But, I already used it, and I have to say, that is something I didn't know I needed! Very handy, much more so than a blanket that is constantly slipping off my shoulder or the baby is kicking off. In the second picture, my friend Anita, who had my camera, thought Caroline was making such a funny face. I thought it was funny too. Caroline had just woke up from a little nap, and seems perturbed that she woke up at all. ;)


Me with Pam and Cindy. Cindy helped host the shower.


Saturday was Brian's and my 11th anniversary. And, in keeping with our current stage of life, this is how the day went: first thing in the morning one kid walks in and has wet pajamas (and wet sheets). Eat breakfast, vacuum, cut up oranges for our turn to supply the soccer team. Go to soccer game. Back home, eat lunch, do laundry, including wet bed sheets, plus 4 other loads. Good thing it was time to do laundry anyway. Referee quarrel between the two older sisters--one was getting into the other's Polly Pockets. Get spit up on twice (including entire outfit changes for Baby and me). Again, good thing I was doing laundry--just add some more to the piles while we're at it! Brian and I were sick with our colds. Brian BBQ'd chicken for dinner and I made the potatoes and cauliflower. We enjoyed Anniversary cake (LOL more like leftover baby shower cake!). One kid had an accident right in front of the toilet before their bath. At least it was on the hard floor. I mopped the floor while Brian gave the kids baths. A little different of a day than 11 years ago!

But, we discussed, how in another 11 years, how different things will be yet again. Julia will be 19 1/2 and maybe away at college. Austin will be almost 17, and driving! Lauren will be 14 and not interested in Polly Pockets anymore. In fact no one will likely be interested in Pollies anymore as Caroline will be 11! Brian and I do plan to go out for dinner this coming Friday night. A new babysitter has already been lined up. Our "regular" sitter, Lesley, is in Jr. college now and got a job at Jamba Juice. Her baby-sitting jobs will be few and far between, now, I think.

In the photo below: Austin's turn to do the kick off. I don't know if you can see in this small of a picture, but he's sticking out his tongue. He does that when he's seriously concentrating! He also scored his first goal this game! Sadly, I missed seeing the big moment, as I was talking with a friend, another player's mom, on the opposing team nonetheless. We think the final score was 12-7, with the Blue Sharks scoring 12. But no one officially keeps score, so that is just kind of what Brian and I figured out. When I saw #8 (see him in the pic?) on the other team, I thought for sure the yellow Bobcats would win. Number 8 was a big kid and really looked like a force to be reckoned with! My friend said she thought being bigger made him slower though.


Brian said 11 years ago, she was just a sparkle in Daddy's eye. ;)


They did get to take a nice nap together Saturday afternoon.


Sunday Caroline and I stayed home from church while Brian took the big kids. He is a few days ahead of me with this cold, so feeling that much better. And not coughing so much.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

LOL at that name for the nursing smock. I've never heard that one. Caroline does look funny in that photo. :)

Happy Anniversary late! What a day! Sort of sad to think of where we'll all be in 11 years. :( I want my kids to grow up and I don't want them to grow up.

Sweet comment from Brian about Caroline. You need to make that a LO title w/that pic. ;)