Sunday, October 12, 2008

Three Months, A Birthday Party

Caroline turned 3 months on Friday. Wow--1/4 a year old already.


A couple of all four together



We had Austin's birthday party with friends yesterday. Austin had a soccer game at 9 am, but only he and Brian went, as I was getting ready for the party. Brian said Austin was not very agressive, and very low-energy at the game (which they unofficially ended up losing, 14-6...another football score ;) ). When they came home, Austin was just really weepy and tired and crabby! We didn't know what was going on with him. He didn't have a fever, though he did [still!...] have a runny nose. We thought maybe he was just over-excited about his party. ??? We made him lie down, and he actually slept for an hour before the party! Here are the treat bags the boys got to take home. Austin and Julia assembled the bags and put stickers on the name tags. They liked sorting all the candy and toys in the bags. We kept it simple simple though--the kids each got a variety of candy, a pack of peanut butter crackers, a toy car, a pencil, and a bouncy balloon. We had enough stuff, so made a bag for two of the boys' younger brothers.


Brian had set up an obstacle course in the back yard, and when the boys arrived, we had them do that if they wanted. One wanted to play with toys in the house, which was fine too, but that only lasted so long, when he started talking about he could run faster than the ones doing the course. LOL He had to show us! Brian and I thought the boys would only want to run through the course once, but they went through it over and over and over again! We'd ordered pizza from Dominoes for lunch, and served grapes, carrots, chips, and dip with it.

After lunch we sent the boys on a hunt in the front yard for cowboys and Indians. When planning the party, I knew they needed to have a hunt of some sort. We'd wanted to do a pinata, but have nowhere to hang it, so I thought maybe they could hunt candy. Thought Easter eggs might be kind of silly, but then the idea of hunting the little plastic men came to me. LOL The Dollar Tree had the cowboys and Indians, so that's what I chose. Julia and Lauren hid the little men while Austin was at soccer and loved doing that! I had to laugh to myself when I was sitting in the recliner nursing the baby before the party, I happened to glance outside, and there was a man with a gun peeking in the living room window! A little blue cowboy man, actually. ;) Here are Austin and Solomon counting men after the hunt. The boys got to take home the guys they found.


We invited 4 boys, and they all came! They are all really nice, well-behaved boys, and we had a lot of fun with them. They were cute to watch. :) Here they are: Robert, Justin, Austin, Carter, and Solomon. Austin knows all of them from church, except Solomon. Solomon he first met at soccer and they also go to the same school and play soccer together (and sand toys, etc.) at recess. Justin calls Austin his big brother--as in, per Justin's mom, "I want to play with my big brother Austin." Carter loves Austin. He sends (in the mail!) cards and pictures to Austin, and even wrote, "I love you Austin," on his birthday card. Austin has made him cards in return and mailed them too, or given them to Carter at church. Solomon's mom said Solomon was playing outside one day and talking to an imaginary friend whose name was Austin! LOL



Below: Austin with his monster truck cake. This is my kind of cake. Easy to make and looks cute! And, I have to say, homemade buttercream frosting made with real butter is better than storebought frosting (used on the cake last week)! LOL I got the idea from this blog.


We made Austin have a nap after his party, and he was still pretty tired last night. This morning he was still whiny and crabby and sick, so he stayed home from church. I don't know with him if it is a new thing or he still his same cold?? This afternoon he had another nap, and he did have a slight fever. Julia also was tired and sick this morning, so stayed home from church too. Brian and Lauren were the only ones who went! And this afternoon Julia had a fever too. No fun, no fun. I *hope* no one was contagious yesterday and none of the party guests get whatever weird thing these guys have.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I hope all is well in your house now. The cake looks yummy! A bunch of cute boys at your house for the big party. I'll have to show Andrew Austin's cake but right now he's saying he wants a Cub Scouts party. He only wants to invite two boys from school over for it. We really need to get into planning mode for it though. The games sound fun! I bet it was funny to be sitting there nursing and looking out to see the blue army guy. LOL