Thursday, October 30, 2008

Unbelievable

A couple weeks ago I posted about Brian and Julia going out together to buy weights for her Awana Grand Prix car. I did not mention then (but told him I was going to write this!), but the week prior to that shopping trip, Brian was really not wanting to work on that car. He kept saying things like, "This is not my department." "I don't know how to make a car." "I don't have the right tools to make that car." (to which I suggested he go next door and ask our neighbor, who has a whole garage full of wood-working tools, but no...), on and on it went! I finally asked him why he bought that car (well, actually a block of pine wood with a car kit) if he didn't want to make it! He asked Julia if she cared if she didn't enter a car this year, and she said that that would be ok. To give Brian some credit, he wasn't feeling well that Saturday, but he was balking at starting that car the entire week earlier!

Anyway. After Austin's soccer game two weeks ago, Brian went online and printed out a few tips about making pinewood derby cars. Did you know you can even buy tips for making them? Some people are champion pinewood derby racers! LOL He got a few ideas, and he used his handsaw his grandpa gave him years ago, and sawed off the ends of the block to make a sort of car shape. Then he and Julia went shopping, and they did indeed find some lead weights to put in the bottom. He had me call my friend Marsha to see what they used, and bought some lead fishing weights, which her husband said he bought.

So. After Brian did his building part, it was up to Julia to paint the car. Now, mind you, some kids come up with creative themes for their cars. Said friend Marsha's daughter's car was a ladybug. Another entry was a carrot, a Corvette, a church bus duplicate, and then there was one or two that was just the unsawed block of wood painted a color. LOL So Julia painted the car red, and fussed about having to do two coats. Then it was her idea to give it pink stripes. The red and pink were acrylic paint--worked well. Next she decided to paint blue stripes. Well, the blue was a washable paint, and when she went to put a coat of varnish on the car, the blue ran, giving the car kind of a tie-dye look, I think. ;) But, Julia had had enough painting and the car stayed as it was.

Tuesday, Oct. 21 all the cars had to be entered so the church staff could judge them on design during the week. The big race was this last Tues. night, the 28th. First the T&T boys did their race. Then it was the girls' turn. All the girls were there, and most of them had at least one parent there. Some girls had grandparents there! Several parents had cameras and/or video cameras. I was not one of them (shocker, I know) as technically I am supposed to be helping in Cubbies. But there are 4 out of 5 of us Cubbies leaders who have T&T girls, so the Cubbies director came in with an LIT and let us go watch the Grand Prix. :) Julia was excited, as were all the girls, as the air was just filled with excitement. There were a few heats, and one girl's car set the night's record at 2.378 for speed. Then Julia's car was in its first race. Her car got 2.47, winning its first race. Each car runs 4 races, once on each track. Second race, Her car got 2.43, and I started paying close attention, realizing I hadn't seen a faster car except that one race with the record-setter. I asked Julia after the second race if that was her car that had gotten 2.43, and she said she didn't know, she thought it was 26. ROFL--26 was her entry number! Her car went on to get 2.4's in its last two races, and then was entered in the last two champion races, which it won both!

We all went back to the girls' T&T room, where they announce the top three winners for design and speed. Each of those top three were given a trophy, including Julia, who won first place for speed! Nothing for design, but no surprise there. We were, however, shocked that her car won first place! After the half-hearted effort, when some of the girls [and their parents] spent hours and hours on their cars. And some of them have architect or engineer dads. We expected one of them to win for sure! We were just amazed! Brian and Julia were very pleased about the big win! Austin was extremely proud of them too and said he wants to use Julia's car when he's in T&T. Though we don't think it's allowed to reenter a winning car. Bummer! And, to top off the first place, the man tracking the speeds said Julia's car was the fastest of the night, including faster than any of the boys! They average the four race scores together, which is why the record-setter wasn't faster. I knew Brian could do it, well, make a car anyway...I certainly didn't expect it to win a trophy--maybe be somewhere in the middle of the pack. Way to go, Brian--and Julia! :D




And just a couple cute shots of the little lady! She sneaks in every post after all. ;)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yay for Brian and Julia. I wonder how he competitive he'll be next time? lol

Love the sparkle in Caroline's eyes in the photo of her on her tummy.