Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas Season

I took our Christmas card pictures Nov. 28. It was between these two for our card. Brian liked the one with the big kids standing (Lauren not slouching, he said), so that's what we used.


I tell you, it is not easy getting a "nice" picture with all four looking in the right direction and pleasant! Remember my earlier post about Caroline and the candy canes? Well, here she is with one. I gave it to her (and one to the big kids, to make it looked planned) in hopes it would help her sit still and not walk out of the picture. Well, it worked. But of course Miss Smarty Pants immediately broke it and started sucking the exposed end!


We went to the Santa Maria Parade of Lights Dec. 5.


Julia and Austin have been there once before--maybe 6 years ago--but of course didn't remember it.


The big kids were excited to go to the parade! It was fun. We sat/stood at the very beginning of the route, which ended up being a very good spot. Some groups handed out candy, one group gave out glow sticks, some other group handed out toys and trinkets... We wouldn't have gotten them much farther down the route. We talked to people who sat down there, and they didn't get any of that stuff. Not that we need more toys and trinkets and candy, but it was fun for the kids. :)


Caroline was really interested in the parade too. She didn't get bored at all. I think there was plenty going on (even though it was a good hour+). We brought two bags of popcorn and a bunch of snacks at home. Then went out for dinner afterwards--7:30? 8:00?--at Applebee's It was late. That was the night I mistakenly walked in with my two older girls to the men's bathroom at Applebee's. OOOOPS! There was a young man just coming out (thankfully that's what he was doing!!), who acted all non-chalant about it--"Oh, it happens to everyone..." Oh boy. Julia had a good laugh, though. I asked her why she didn't stop me, and she had to think about that. Hee hee. Usually she's pretty observant. She said she was just following me. I think we were all hungry and getting tired! ????


It was cold that night--maybe in the 40s? We were glad to have our warm clothes on. All bundled up and practicing her wave. Getting it down for when she's a parade princess. ;)


The very last entry: Santa! All the kids waved at him. Better leave him with a good impression, right? ;)


My breakfast group's cookie exchange was Dec. 8. It was at Leanne's house. My friends: Leanne, Teri, me with Caroline, Ronda, Monica, Marsha. Anita couldn't be there but Teri brought her cookies and took some of ours home for her. Leanne homeschools, so her son was there and took our picture.


We had some frosty mornings the last few weeks. The frost looked so pretty on the plants when we were walking to school.


All bundled up on one of the cold, frosty mornings.

We had several rainy days, too... Even the dolls got dressed for Christmas...


One of Brian's favorite holiday traditions is getting Starbucks eggnog lattes. I like them too, but am not a purist. ;) I deviated from tradition and got a Caramel Brulee latte this year. I like all the holiday flavors...pumpkin spice, gingerbread, peppermint mochas... ;) But usually do get the eggnog latte. Brian and I enjoyed a few of these...


We dressed for Christmas. Well, except Brian. ??? Of course he looks handsome, but where's the red? A blue shirt is an almost every day occurence! ;) Lauren's dress was Julia's; Caroline's was Lauren's. Glad to use those pretty dresses again.


We watched lots of Christmas movies! Some from our own collection, some on TV. So fun! We all love watching Christmas shows! The day after Christmas we all went to see The Princess and The Frog. The kids liked it! Caroline got a little bored. But was easily amused stuffing herself with popcorn. Then picking up popcorn that had fallen on the floor and putting it in a box. Then go and suck her thumb. Oh boy.

No comments: