Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Four-Day Weekend

Last weekend Julia and Austin were off Friday from school, then of course on Monday, too, for Presidents Day. It was a full weekend!

Friday Austin had his friend, Solomon, over to play. Lauren was so excited to have Solomon over, too, and played right along with the boys. They didn't seem to mind. Solomon has a younger brother and baby sister, and of course Austin and Lauren are good friends, so it all worked out fine. They played Thomas trains--it's been months since they've been out! I was glad to see them being played with. :) They played other boy things too--had a good time together.

Saturday Austin's friend, Isaac, came over. Earlier in the week, Isaac's mom called and said Isaac was really wanting to come back and play at Austin's house. He came here at the end of Christmas break, and had fun. So again, lots of boy stuff going on. Some train-playing, some Legos and race cars, some light-saber and Nerf gun wars...

Julia wanted a friend to visit too, so I thought, why not, she might as well have one the same time as Austin. Her friend Megan came and stayed several hours. Lauren hung around with them a *lot*! Julia and Megan were very good about it--they sat on Julia's top bunk doing a friend question/answer thing, while Lauren was on her bottom bunk. She wanted so badly to be included. She'd hand them various toys and books of hers. Which they were kind about--acknowledged Lauren at least.

Then Lauren started getting silly: "I'm going to kick you in the bottom and you will die!" Cackle cackle cackle. Oh boy. I made her come out, and she was so sad about that. "I just want to have time with the girls!" Boo hoo, boo hoo.

Saturday night Brian and I dropped the all the kids off at church for Parents Night Out. Three hours of free babysitting, just had to pay $2 for each of the 3 big kids for dinner provided. I packed food for Caroline. Brian and I went to Rosa's for Italian food. Yummy! Next it was off to Michael's to pick up a birthday gift for another friend of Julia's. She'd only gotten the invitation Wednesday, and the party was Sunday night. After our quick trip to Michael's we went to Starbucks. We both only ate half our Rosa's food, so we nicely had room for treats at Starbucks. :) Brian got hot chocolate and banana chocolate chip coffee cake, and I got a mocha and a vanilla cupcake. Then back to church to pick up the kids. It was nice to have a date.

Sunday was church; Brian and I taught Lauren's Sunday School class, which she was so happy about. She sat on Brian's lap the whole time he told the story. I always have him read/tell the story (and he nicely, willingly does it!), since he has a louder voice and I think is better at it!

After lunch I dropped Julia off at her friend Katie's house for Katie's birthday/sleepover party. It was Julia's first sleepover, and Miss Independent was eager to go. We told her she could call any time to be picked up, but no phone calls at all. Her friend Megan was there too, and when I dropped Julia off, Megan didn't know if she would want to stay the night, but ended up sleeping over too. I think that was nice for Julia, since she hangs out with Megan more than the other girls who were there. But I think Julia would have stayed either way. :)

Monday Brian was off work, so we picked Julia up from her friends and headed to Morro Bay. We walked around Morro Rock. All the kids liked climbing on the rocks. They loved that! Not on the Morro Rock, though, as that is not allowed. ;) Austin was climbing at the bottom of it, and I told him I hoped he wouldn't get arrested, with the sign right there saying not to climb it. Ha! They mostly climbed on the big boulders.


The base of Morro Rock is behind the little girls, in these pictures.


The waves crashing on the breakwater were huge!


Many, many of them crashed right over the breakwater. Pretty impressive! Brian said in college, he and a friend used to go out on the breakwater. No one was walking out there this day!


We ate lunch at The Hofbrau, then got some saltwater taffy at Carousel Taffy. It's tradition! Seriously, as soon as the kids heard we were going to Morro Bay, they all asked if we could get taffy. We let them have 12 pieces each. We went to Tideland Park, nearby, and let the kids play for awhile. It has a fun pirate-ship playground. Austin gets right in there and plays with kids he's never met, like they've been friends forever. And Lauren gets included. She tags along, and he includes her--such a good brother! Julia climbed around, did her own thing, also typical. And Caroline had a great time digging in the sand, filling up her pail. She bucked and kicked, protesting, when it was time to go!

Monday night Brian took Austin to Back-to-Baseball night at the high school. He said the hall was packed. My, these people get into their sports! ;) Brian is the coach for Austin's team this year. There's a manager who is "in charge", and Brian. I am *so*, *so* glad Brian is coaching! It was no fun dragging the girls to T-Ball practice last year! The practices weren't near the playground, so they got somewhat bored. Julia did her homework most of the time. But when that was done, then what? Our girls were the only girls that were ever there. And there were always two a week, unless there were two games. Then just one. But now, Brian can take Austin to practice! At least most of the time. I think it will be good for them to do baseball together, anyway. Austin will love having Brian coach!

No comments: