"S" for "f" "fl" and "sh"
"W" for "r" and "l"
"T" or "S" for "th" (as in think, third, thumb)
Sometimes "d" for "j" and "th" (like in the, they, them)
All are age appropriate, except the "S" for "F". At 4 years, 90% of kids are able to say that correctly. The Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) was so, SO sweet. Her name was Caitlin, and I think she was younger than me. Kind of funny, when all the teachers we've come in contact with have been older, so far. Guess I'm getting older.
Anyway. Caitlin was very thorough, and very kind. The evaluation took about an hour, then Caitlin told me she'd have to write up a report, and add up Lauren's scores on the assessment. She has to do that to get an "official" conclusion, but it was her thought that Lauren will need some speech therapy. Caitlin said she thinks Lauren will be borderline on her scores. 100 is average, any score between 85 and 115 is considered "normal". If Lauren scores below 85 she'll be eligible for speech therapy through S.N.I.P (Special Needs Intervention Program) through the school district. If she scores above 85, we'll just be given exercises to work on at home. Even if she goes to speech classes, we'll have to do exercises at home.
March 3 we have a meeting scheduled to discuss Lauren's scores and Caitlin's report, and to decide how to proceed.

During the evaluation, Lauren was able to say "F", but only on command (stimulable, Caitlin said), not in any repeating words or conversation. It was kind of sad to see her quickly identify every picture, but when it came time to say something like "leaf", Lauren would triumphantly say, "weas!", like she was so proud of herself for knowing what the picture was, yet she had no idea she was saying the wrong sounds. Caitlin did say it's good Lauren is stimulable. I asked if it's something she would grow out of, and Caitlin said that at 4 years old she should be able to say that, basically she should have grown out of it already, compared with most 4-year-olds.
Next week we have to go get her hearing and vision checked. I'm pretty sure they're just fine, but they have to be checked to proceed with everything.

Our sweet neighbor watched Caroline during the appointment. She's taken care of all our kids at some time or other. I took Lauren to get a Happy Meal on the way home, and the little gorilla (above) was her toy.
Lauren said the "talking appointment" was "super fun!", but I could tell it had been a stressful day for her, mainly last night! She was somewhat clingy at Cubbies, wanting to sit by me at story time (hasn't done this for months), then completely melted down in tears when she saw the jug of milk come out at snack time. Usually kids bring juice, which Lauren's used to. Then last night, out came the milk, which she doesn't like, and they never have. It was no big deal to get her a cup of juice from the team in the next room, but just seeing the milk put her over the edge!
Then last night before bed, Lauren came in to tell me good-night, and repeated the whole story to me, how when she was 2 years old, the doctor said if she didn't start talking by the end of summer she'd have to go to special talking classes. And the doctor asked her what kind of cake she'd had on her birthday, and Julia and Austin answered, "Chocolate!", not even letting her say a single word. Then suddenly, in the summer, she started to talk! And now, "I talk and I talk and I talk... I talk and talk and talk!" ;) I could tell she was still processing the morning's events!

No comments:
Post a Comment