Friday, August 6, 2010

Apple Picking and Go Fish

Brian's mom, Alexis, and Joy, Chris, and Kaitlyn, came to visit us last weekend. They arrived late Friday night. Saturday, Brian decided our Gravenstein apples should be picked. Several were falling from the tree, and they really were ripe. We got a lot of apples! I think about 3 5-gallon buckets, total!

At least our apples did well, because our garden is another story. :( Tomatoes are never happy there--doesn't get enough sun--and this summer has been unusually cool, with most days just in the 6os! We saw on the news last night, that for June and July (if I remember right), every day had a high in the 60s, except July 14 was 73! Crazy. Anyway.

The kids took turns climbing the ladder, and they all picked a bunch. I cringed at every "drop", "drop", into a bucket, imagining all the bruises!


I made applesauce Tuesday, about 14 quarts. Yum! It is a pretty pink color, b/c I left the peelings on this time, when I cooked the apples, and ran it through my new food mill. I prefer chunkier applesauce, but was not in the mood to peel all those crazy apples! It took long enough coring all those suckers. We still have a lot of Gravensteins left, that I might make apple butter with...or more sauce... We've been eating them fresh, too.

Caroline liked pushing Kaitlyn in the little car. I think she liked being the one who's the big kid, not the baby.


Thought this was cute of Kaitlyn...


Lauren wanted a picture on a car too. Can't leave anyone out. ;) Austin is so into the Sandlot movies, and practicing baseball, so he was thrilled to play with Uncle Chris for awhile!


All last week, starting July 26, we had Vacation Bible School at church. I helped in registration this year. Every other year I've helped in the kids' classroom usually Pre-K, except 2008, when I also did registration. And Caroline was born in the middle of that week of VBS! The theme this year was Backstage With the Bible, and my kids loved it! They had so much fun! Julia said it was her favorite VBS ever. And they remembered the Bible stories they learned, and what they learned about Nard, a boy in the Philippines, which had to do with the missionary project for the week.

Though that was kind of funny. One morning I asked the kids what their schedules were during VBS, and Austin explained his: "First we go in the sanctuary. Then we do games. And snack. Then crafts. Then Bible story. Then we learn about Nerd..." I kind of just stared at him.

Julia was taken aback and had to think that one over. After a bit, she said, with a huge grin (as I was silently cracking up), "Nard! His name is Nard! Not Nerd!" Oh my.

There was no VBS program or carnival this year, because we had a Go Fish concert instead! We'd seen Go Fish in 2008--in June, before Caroline was born, and all my kids wanted to see them again. Alexis had stayed with Brian's mom that summer, also, and came up to see us and go to the concert with us. We invited them this year too. Chris, Joy, and Kaitlyn came with us. Grandma bought all the kids these flashlights, even Caroline and Kaitlyn got one, and had so much fun playing with them. :)


I just brought our little camera, which does not do as well as the big camera in lighting situations like this. Oh well. Snazzy was the tour name, I guess?? It's also one of their CDs, and songs. Kinda funny, but good, and the kids like it a lot!!


Picture 1: All the kids in their VBS shirts. Lauren really was happy! And smiling! What a goofball! Caroline had been sick the night before, and was still not herself, though much better. She was pretty tired at the end of the show!

Picture 2: Every VBS day had a dress-up theme. Tuesday's was All Black day, like a stagehand would wear. Monday, Julia's leader told me she told her group to wear black the next day, and that Julia replied, "I am not wearing black!" LOL I told her that was right, my girls don't wear black; they like pink, purple and glitter. Hee hee hee. It turned out, they all wore black that day. We scrounged up a couple VBS shirts from a few years ago. All the pants were hand-me-downs, even Austin's whole ensemble! Guess none of my kids wear much black...

They also dressed up for pajama day, backwards day, and crazy hair day. Julia put glitter in their hair for that. The other dress-up them was career day, and I wish I'd gotten a picture of that. Julia was a vet, Austin a race car driver, and Lauren, an explorer. Very cute!

No comments: