Julia and Austin had a half day of school on Good Friday. They came home with a flyer about a community egg hunt at the park. Of course they wanted to go. Saturday morning we walked to the park with my mom and dad. Lauren was in the 0-3 age group, Austin in the 4-6, and Julia in the 7-10. Wouldn't you say Lauren and Austin had quite an advantage? Especially Lauren who will be 4 on May 6?! She would have gotten flustered and not many eggs in Austin's group, though.
Austin and Lauren got a lot of eggs: 28 for him, and Lauren had almost as many. Julia ended up with eight. She was not happy about that. And I was kind of mad too, because, in her group--definitely kids who were old enough to pick up their own eggs--and the group where the announcer specifically said, "Kids only, no adults!"--as soon as they got the signal, one girl and her mother went racing in the egg area. That greedy mom was grabbing eggs left and right, tossing them in her daughter's basket, the daughter not picking up any eggs, just holding the basket for her mom! All for a bunch of Tootsie Rolls. The rule-follower in me doesn't like that blatant rule breaking. After Julia's run for the eggs, we went by the T-ball field so we could see where Julia and Lauren had picked lupines at Austin's last T-ball game. Grandma and I had a talk with Julia, RE the greedy mother, about that's where it starts: cheating on tests, stealing, ending up in prison... And how probably that mom and daughter had never been to church in their lives, and really, we can't expect them to act any differently if they don't have Jesus in their hearts. Julia was cheered up by the time we got home. We divided up all the kids' Tootsie Rolls anyway. And Lauren's Smarties (which was the only candy in all her eggs!). They got fake animal tattoos in some eggs and divvied those up also.

At home, the kids and I dyed eggs with Grandma. We'd cooked 28 and also colored 36 raw eggs. Since I didn't want that many boiled eggs sitting in the fridge!

Austin and Lauren got a lot of eggs: 28 for him, and Lauren had almost as many. Julia ended up with eight. She was not happy about that. And I was kind of mad too, because, in her group--definitely kids who were old enough to pick up their own eggs--and the group where the announcer specifically said, "Kids only, no adults!"--as soon as they got the signal, one girl and her mother went racing in the egg area. That greedy mom was grabbing eggs left and right, tossing them in her daughter's basket, the daughter not picking up any eggs, just holding the basket for her mom! All for a bunch of Tootsie Rolls. The rule-follower in me doesn't like that blatant rule breaking. After Julia's run for the eggs, we went by the T-ball field so we could see where Julia and Lauren had picked lupines at Austin's last T-ball game. Grandma and I had a talk with Julia, RE the greedy mother, about that's where it starts: cheating on tests, stealing, ending up in prison... And how probably that mom and daughter had never been to church in their lives, and really, we can't expect them to act any differently if they don't have Jesus in their hearts. Julia was cheered up by the time we got home. We divided up all the kids' Tootsie Rolls anyway. And Lauren's Smarties (which was the only candy in all her eggs!). They got fake animal tattoos in some eggs and divvied those up also.

At home, the kids and I dyed eggs with Grandma. We'd cooked 28 and also colored 36 raw eggs. Since I didn't want that many boiled eggs sitting in the fridge!

Coloring eggs is always fun. They sure made quick work of it.

Our pretty eggs... The more pastel eggs are the raw ones. Interesting how the dye didn't absorb as much into their shells. And it went through the shells of some of the cooked eggs. My mom made potato salad with some of them later in the week, and every so often we'd find a piece of blue or pink or green egg in the salad!

Easter Sunday morning Austin woke up not feeling well, saying his right ear hurt. March 24 he'd started an ear infection in his left ear. Dr. prescribed Amoxicillin, which Austin took for 10 days and got better. Immediately after finishing the antibiotic, he got another cold, and I think maybe this ear infection was a part of that. ??? Anyway, I gave him Children's Motrin, and he ate breakfast and was acting much happier. So we all went to church. For awhile there we thought Caroline and I would be staying home with him. Since I always end up in the cry room nursing her anyway, at some point during the service. :) But we all went to church, and it was a nice service, and we did end up in the cry room partway through.

While the Easter Bunny Grandpa and Daddy finished hiding eggs in our backyard and front courtyard, Grandma and I amused the kids in our neighbor's yard. They are nice neighbors and wouldn't mind that type of thing, I am sure. The kids played on this swing for awhile that another neighbor put up in the big tree in this neighbor's yard. Was that confusing? :)
Grandpa and Daddy came moseying on over, and we took some family and couple pictures.
And the grandparents with the kids. That's our neighbor's bench too. One of the Easter bunnies wanted to be comfortable hiding eggs (I guess??) as he showed up for pictures wearing his motorcycle shirt. :D

On to the backyard for the big hunt. Lauren got to start first, being youngest. The other two were a little not ok with that, but it's how it goes every year, so they accepted it.


Our pretty eggs... The more pastel eggs are the raw ones. Interesting how the dye didn't absorb as much into their shells. And it went through the shells of some of the cooked eggs. My mom made potato salad with some of them later in the week, and every so often we'd find a piece of blue or pink or green egg in the salad!

Easter Sunday morning Austin woke up not feeling well, saying his right ear hurt. March 24 he'd started an ear infection in his left ear. Dr. prescribed Amoxicillin, which Austin took for 10 days and got better. Immediately after finishing the antibiotic, he got another cold, and I think maybe this ear infection was a part of that. ??? Anyway, I gave him Children's Motrin, and he ate breakfast and was acting much happier. So we all went to church. For awhile there we thought Caroline and I would be staying home with him. Since I always end up in the cry room nursing her anyway, at some point during the service. :) But we all went to church, and it was a nice service, and we did end up in the cry room partway through.
After church we took some pictures, and the kids cooperated pretty well, actually, as they knew they'd get to hunt eggs afterwards. They were SO excited for that.

While the Easter Bunny Grandpa and Daddy finished hiding eggs in our backyard and front courtyard, Grandma and I amused the kids in our neighbor's yard. They are nice neighbors and wouldn't mind that type of thing, I am sure. The kids played on this swing for awhile that another neighbor put up in the big tree in this neighbor's yard. Was that confusing? :)
Grandpa and Daddy came moseying on over, and we took some family and couple pictures.

And the grandparents with the kids. That's our neighbor's bench too. One of the Easter bunnies wanted to be comfortable hiding eggs (I guess??) as he showed up for pictures wearing his motorcycle shirt. :D

On to the backyard for the big hunt. Lauren got to start first, being youngest. The other two were a little not ok with that, but it's how it goes every year, so they accepted it.

As it was, Julia ended up finding the most eggs anyway, then Austin. Julia had to go last, like always. It's always so exciting to hunt eggs, but I tell you, every year it's the same thing: "But I saw that one first, and she got it!" "He's taking all the eggs!!" Fight, fight, bicker, bicker. Oh what a glorious Easter! But when it's all said and done, they all love it! And of course it's great fun opening those eggs and seeing what candy is inside.
We had our ham dinner that night at supper time. I'd made a banana cream pie for dessert.





1 comment:
Funny about the bickering over the eggs. It's a wonder my kids don't but they hunt in a HUGE area (my parents' yard) with several cousins and they are all running in different directions. LOL at all the hanging out in the neighbor's yard. I LOVE the girls' dresses. Where did you find them all matching dresses?
Post a Comment