Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Morro Bay and Montana de Oro with Cousins

Last Friday, the 19th, we drove up to Morro Bay with our company.

The kids had fun riding this pelican. It was the craziest thing, the pelican kept 'going' by itself! You had to pay to ride all the little rides in this area, including the pelican. However, something wasn't right with him. He'd start up, give an entire ride cycle, then stop. Just for a few seconds though, barely enough for a kid to get off and on, then he'd start up again. The kids thought that was great! Annette took this picture when I was in the bathroom with Lauren.


After the pelican rides, Brian decided he wanted a free fudge sample, so we all followed him into the fudge/candy shop and got samples too. Well, almost all of us. At the next store, Carousel Taffy, Annette realized Annika wasn't with us. None of us remembered seeing her in the fudge shop. Immediately Doug and Brian and then Annette left the taffy store to go look for her. I guess she must have had so much fun riding Mr. Pelican that she decided to ride a horse in the same ride area. And that's where they found her! Riding a horse. Except he wasn't moving at all. No matter to her--she loves horses, and I'm sure was convinced she was riding it.

Once that scare was past everyone got down to business of picking out taffies! We stop at this saltwater taffy shop almost every time we come to Morro Bay. They have tons of flavors, and it's fun picking out our favorites. They had a special going: if you bought 3 pounds, you got a one-pound bag, free. The lady let us combine our orders and we got the free bag. Julia divided it up, a portion for each family, at home.


Hey Annaliese! No crying in the candy store! Hee hee... Maybe she wanted a taffy...


Next we all headed down to the boat dock where we rented an electric boat for an hour.


The daddies and kids all got turns driving the boat.


We all ate some taffy during the ride... Check out the pile of wrappers in the cup holders!!


All the kids had to wear life jackets. It cracked me up seeing those babies in their life jackets. They have such short little necks, and their heads were really pushed up! They did not like their life straight jackets! I have to giggle, even now, seeing these pictures! Poor Caroline...


This baby didn't like it any better.


Annette caught these guys


The moms and kids and babies. Snicker snicker snicker at those life straight jackets!!!


Towards the end of our boat ride, Lauren leaned out the window and told me she was going to touch the water, all set to drag her fingers through. I had to tell her, that she was most certainly not going to touch the water! Didn't want her falling out of that boat, even with her life vest. She wasn't thrilled, but Brian made her get down from the top step.


After our boat ride we ate lunch at the park near the water. We'd packed a picnic and enjoyed that, except that it got kind of cold and windy! The kids liked playing on the pirate ship playground.

Then, being vacation after all, we went on another adventure, and drove to Montana de Oro.
I got this picture of the pretty mustard flowers overlooking the water.


The two babies were worn out and both fell asleep in their vans. Annette and I stayed behind, crocheting, trying to figure out crocheted flowers, while the dads and big kids went out to hike. My baby was in our van, parked right next to their's with the windows open so I could hear her if she woke up.


Brian took these pictures: Coming and going. Or maybe going and coming. Ha ha I don't know, I was not there.



Pretty girls. Tired girls...


They saw this deer on their hike.


We got home and the kids played. We ate chicken tacos for dinner. I'd started chicken taco meat in the slow cooker before we left that morning. That's the way to do it when you're gone all day!!

Our kids get movie night and ice cream night most every Friday. Alyssa asked me over and over if they could watch Sleeping Beauty. She said, "I told Julia that's the one I want to watch!" And, "Julia said we could watch Sleeping Beauty..." And, "I really want to watch Sleeping Beauty, because I've never seen it before!" Finally I told her that she and Julia were not in charge, and I didn't know which movie they would be watching, and she should ask Uncle Brian. Because he'd mentioned putting in a different movie to me. After awhile she came back asking about Sleeping Beauty again, and I said, "What did Uncle Brian say? Did you ask Uncle Brian?"

Alyssa: "No."

Me: "Why not? Is he mean?" Now, for the record, Brian is not mean! Never! But I could see where a little girl might be afraid to ask him something. Hee hee. I would have been quicker to ask my aunts things before my uncles as a little girl, myself.

Alyssa had to think about that for a minute, then said, "I don't know."

When he came in the kitchen, I told Brian the whole situation (and conversation). :D And they did end up watching Sleeping Beauty that night. And had ice cream too. It's tradition, after all.

2 comments:

Randy said...

Thanks for the great story of your fun time together. It makes me want to come for another visit!

Leslie said...

There's a store we always go to when we're in Charleston and buy saltwater taffy. :) Renting the boat sounds like a lot of fun. Their life jackets are funny. Little Caroline with her head on top and legs sticking out. LOL

Looks and sounds like a great day. That is awesome that you can have such an enjoyable time with your family like that - the fact that you have such common interests and kids around the same ages.