Monday, October 19, 2009

Celebrating Seven

We had Austin's party 16 days after his birthday, Saturday. That day worked best for us because he had a 10:00 soccer game instead of noon. However--one of his friends he invited had an 11:00 game, and another had a 12 noon game! So both of their moms brought them directly from their games to Chuck E. Cheese. His only friend who isn't playing soccer, Kana, rode with us. Those boys were SO silly together in the back of the van!

I overheard Kana ask, "Did you tell your mom you had to miss 5 minutes of recess?"

Austin (very quietly...), "No."

I glanced at Julia in the second row and could tell she was memorizing every word of this. ;)

That's all we heard on that subject right then.

Austin chose this space shuttle cake from the Betty Crocker cake book we check out of the library almost always, for the kids' birthdays. It was hot Friday when I made and decorated the cake: 96 degrees! And over 80 in the house. I'd frozen the cake sections to make them easier to frost, but still had problems getting crumbs in the frosting! It was just too warm in the house!

The frosting had butter and shortening, thank goodness for the shortening, or I think it would have been soup, as the butter was melting and the frosting was so soft. So I'd frost a bit of cake, put the cake in the freezer and the frosting bowl in the fridge, just doing a little at a time. Crazy!! Brian said he hoped it wasn't going to be another space shuttle disaster... I told him it had been the space shuttle Challenger!! I was so frustrated with it. At least it turned out pretty cute (and tasted good!); in spite of all the challenges. Austin was happy with it. :)


At Chuck E Cheese the kids played for awhile, then we ate pizza for lunch. They devoured the entire pepperoni pizza and some of the other pizza between all the kids.


They played some more. Here Austin is with Isaac. Isaac was the one with the 12 noon game, so he came just after everyone else had eaten and scarfed down his pizza so he could go play! I was glad we'd saved him a piece of pepperoni, as that's what he wanted.


Caroline got carried around most of the day. Brian let her ride this horse once, and she didn't want to get off!


Cake and present time! All the silly, silly, silly little boys: Solomon, Isaac, Kana, Austin.


We heard lots of giggling and teasing and playfulness the entire afternoon. The boys had so much fun together. They all know each other and played very well together. Sometimes they'd run off on their own or a couple would run off together, or all four would be together.


More fun and silliness: Austin kissed every present he opened! He got new Legos, a dinosaur HotWheels stunt track, and Bakugans (he hasn't had any of those before). He's been busy playing with his new toys since we got home from the party. :)


Brian and I were exhausted after the party. I think we were more tired than the kids! LOL I didn't feel like making dinner, but after pizza for lunch, and Domino,s pizza the night before with the -too-hot-to cook kitchen and cake issues, we thought we better eat in. So I made spaghetti.

I was so tired I even watched the LA Angels/NY Yankees baseball game with Brian. And I do *not* care about watching baseball on TV. Ha! At least it was quality couple time I guess. I asked Brian how much he liked the Angels. Because the Dodgers are his team, you know. He said he likes the Angels 89%. Unless they ended up playing the Dodgers. Then he likes them 0. Hee! :D He was pretty disgusted with the Dodgers tonight though, losing their game.

And the story about Austin missing 5 minutes of recess? I asked him about it at home. Apparently, at lunch, the kids were being too noisy in the cafeteria, so the cafeteria lady was talking on a microphone, telling them to quiet down. And Austin continued to talk (to Kana, who didn't say a word). Oh dear. So he missed 5 minutes of lunch recess. Austin, not missing a beat, and remember, his main reason for school is to socialize, said, "But I still had enough time to play!" ;)

No comments: