Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Slim Pickin'

Monday I took the kids to the Avila Valley Barn to pick Olallieberries. First they wanted to feed the animals. Austin climbed on the fence and pet this cow for a few minutes. Friendly cow...


It was not busy at all at the barn. I am convinced weekdays are when we should go! When we go there or pass it on weekends, it is SO busy! They were giving tractor/wagon rides out to the berry patch and peach orchard, but we decided to walk the path instead. For the longest time we were the only ones in the berry patch! At least on this day. They were pretty picked over. And what berries we did find were tiiiii-ny! It must be about the end of their season. Julia and Austin were serious pickers! Look how much they picked!


Caroline ate everything she picked. I didn't even give her a basket. She picked black berries. And red ones. And ate them all! She said, after the first several berries, "Mmmm...smells good!" That's what she says when she likes how something tastes. :) She chattered away in the patch, happy to be "picking bebbwies" and saying how good they "smelled". LOL

Lauren was pretty funny. She ate her share of berries too. Then found more for Caroline to eat: "Here Caroline, do you want a berry?" "Is it a good one, Caroline?"
Caroline would eat it, then reply, "Yeah..."

And Lauren periodically showed me her basket, "Look at how many berries I picked! I picked a lot!" There were about 10 berries rattling around in the bottom of the basket... Eventually a few more, and I could tell her, "Oh, you do have a lot--look, the bottom of your basket is almost covered!" Meanwhile Julia and Austin's baskets were at least half full... Finally Lauren decided to not eat so many and feed her sister so many, and she ended up with a fair amount! Caroline had enough berries after awhile and found these black sprinkler (?) strips to play with.


Lauren also chattered away while she picked. She asked, "Where's the magic berry?"

Me: "I don't know. Is it in this patch?"

L: "Yes. Tinkerbell told me! She lives here!" Then chatter chatter about the magic berry.

I put our full box of berries on the ground, and Caroline nicely sat down and started eating them, one by one. Sure, why not?


We walked back to the store and paid for the berries. We also bought some fresh peaches and treats. We were starving! Berries only fill you up so much. ;)


After our snack, we went to McDonald's for a late lunch--we were still hungry after the treats. They only fill you up so much, too. Ha! It was after 2:00 by this time. The kids were tired, but happy to play on the playground for awhile. Caroline fell asleep on the drive home. I made a berry crisp we've enjoyed the last couple nights. Yum!

No comments: