Sunday, March 15, 2009

Going to the Zoo, Little Bo Peep

Yesterday we went to the Santa Barbara Zoo. We picked up two Subway $5 Footlongs to take with us. We like to eat fresh. LOL We also brought fruit and snacks from home. It was nice to get in "free" and have "free" parking--as we bought a membership when we went to the zoo last November. It would have cost $53 for one visit, for all of us, including parking, so the membership ($70) more than paid for itself with this second visit. And since we'd had a membership before, we got a special: 14 months for the price of 12.

Last Thursday I got my hair cut and highlighted. It was definitely time, as the last time it was done (even cut!!) was November. Oh my oh my. Anyway, my beautician gave me more bangs, and she said I'm not supposed to cut them too short. I am bad at this, because they start bugging me if I feel them touch my eyebrows. I am supposed to let them grow a little longer yet so I can sweep them to the side. We'll see if I can tolerate them growing that long... ;) And I don't know that they will sweep nicely to the side, because they want to curl, not nicely be straight and sweep over!

Back to the zoo story. The kids love the giant anthill. Last time we went we saw other kids sliding down the hill on their zoo maps and pieces of cardboard. So this time we brought cardboard for each of the kids. Austin and Julia used old Priority Mail boxes, and Lauren used the case part that held 6 6-pack cups of applesauce from Costco. It was just her size. Austin kept asking us if we remembered to bring the cardboard! We let them play for a looooong time on the anthill, and when asked if they wanted to go see the animals, the girls agreed, but Austin said, "NO!" The reason we go to the zoo, of course, is to slide down the giant anthill.....


They also have a couple of these eggs in the play area. Brian said they are rotten eggs because one of Farm Credit's competitors sponsored them.




They have a huge variety of plants and flowers at the zoo. Everytime we go there is something different in bloom. We saw a lot of these orange flowers this time. Julia held Caroline while I put our picnic stuff away.


Austin found this big, dead branch kind of hidden in a cluster of trees/bushes. The kids had fun with it, pretending to sweep. That only lasted a short time though. Soon they were riding it, and Julia said, "We are witches riding our broom!" And there they went, galloping around the picnic area on their broom! And, what is up with the couple in the background? Who dresses like that to go to the zoo?! I didn't notice them until I was going through these pictures on the computer. They look like they're going to a wedding or a dance or something. :D


Sharing a nice sisterly conversation, sitting on a fence outside one exhibit. Taken just before Lauren lost her balance and did a faceplant on the concrete. Thankfully, she pretty much caught herself with her hands, but her forehead hit the cement, and her bottom lip, as it was almost bleeding. And she said her teeth hurt. She had a bruise and bump on her forehead where it hit. Poor girl. She continued to climb on fences outside other exhibits, though. She said at one of them, "I hope I don't lose my balance and fall again!"


Austin dropped his Oreo cookie over the fence at the elephant exhibit. He was most unhappy about that and wanted Brian to get it....[I don't think so....] Here is Austin in the creepy crawly bug house, looking at Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. There is a button you can push to hear the sound they make. He pushed it, too. Over and over and over!


We took a train ride before we left.


We were first in line, so got to choose where we wanted to sit, and Austin and Julia both wanted to sit in the back. They sat there last time too, and think it's the best spot. ;) I had to nurse the baby after that, so we went back to the play area. Lauren was very upset that we'd given our cardboard away! We hadn't thought we'd return to the anthill, so we left it. Julia found some pieces of unused cardboard, but Lauren would not use them! She wanted her applesauce box! And wouldn't you know, eventually, Julia found it for her. Julia is very observant, and quick, and quickly grabbed it up, when the kid who'd been using it left the anthill. Lauren was also extremely tired by this point (no nap and all that traipsing around the zoo). You can see how cheerful she was in the picture of all four of them in the rotten egg. :D


We stopped at the La Cumbre Plaza mall after the zoo, so I could return some things I'd ordered online at Gymboree, as we don't have one by us. We also stopped at Starbucks and everybody got treats and drinks. Cinnamon coffee cake and coffee for Brian and me, Rice Krispie treats for the kids, hot chocolate is for Julia and Austin and apple juice for Lauren. I had $15 of giftcards to use, so that treat hardly cost anything. We ate dinner at Red Robin in Santa Maria on the way home. Yum!

A couple of Caroline after church today. I thought she looked like Little Bo Peep with this hat. She is growing, but is still such a peanut! Lauren wore this outfit at 6 months, and it fit her well, and it is still even now big on Caroline at 8+ months. I wanted her to wear it before winter is over, but who knows, it may still fit her next winter at this rate!

Julia had Bible Quiz practice at 1, so we went out to lunch at Baja Fresh after church, then brought her back to church for practice. My friend Marsha brought her home.
Yesterday at the zoo we found a Webkinz tag just laying in the parking lot, not really near any specific car, so we claimed it. I think probably someone must have bought a Webkinz just to have the animal. Anyway, last night we added the code/animal to Austin's account, and he is eager to play with his new duck. And telling me this is taking all day for me to post this. ;)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

My hair never cooperates like it's supposed to either. Oh, my hairstylist can get it to look great but it always does some funky curl in the wrong place and looks bad for me. LOL

The anthill looks fun!

LOL at Brian! Definitely rotten eggs. We'd say the same thing if another CPA firm sponsored something. ;)

Orange flowers are pretty!

LOL at the couple in the background. I noticed them immediately before reading about the picture. The kids are too funny as witches on brooms. :)

Poor Lauren falling. She doesn't look too happy as you say though in the rotten egg. LOL

Did you tell the kids how spoiled they were to be getting treats at Starbucks? We tell ours that. Especially since when we *do* take them Andrew wants a caramel mocha just for him - not hot chocolate or apple juice. LOL One of these days I WILL eat at a Red Robin!! I will, I will!!! :D

Little Caroline is just ADORABLE in that hat and those pictures. Oh my goodness. Cute little "peanut" for sure!!

We have the two computers, you know, and last week while the kids were on spring break it was all I could do to get to check my email twice a day - they were being hogged. LOL They weren't on them all day but immediately in the morning (when I usually check my email) and then in the middle of the afternoon. Glad they're back to school this week. ;)