Sunday, March 8, 2009

Nine is Fine

Julia turned nine on February 27. A few days before, I asked her, "Has eight been great?"

She answered, "Yeah, and nine is going to be fine." Here she is on her birthday, nine years old!



Brian's mom, sister Joy and her husband, Chris, came up for the weekend to celebrate with us. For the past several weeks, Julia's said she wanted to go to Boomers for her birthday. Boomers has a full arcade, air hockey, mini golf, bumper boats, a climbing wall, kiddie and regular-size go-carts, a batting range, etc. Julia chose to invite Cassie, a friend from Awana, to come along with us. First almost all of us played mini golf. I sat out with the baby and to keep an eye on Lauren, and Joy started feeling sick about halfway through, because of the baby in her tummy. ;)


Lauren was free, being three, and it's a good thing, as she got bored quickly! She was very interested in these lights, and I'm sure she was convinced they were megaphones. She kept talking through them, pulling them out of their sockets (at least they were easy to put back in!) to talk to one of us. She liked it when Grandma talked through another light/megaphone back at her.


It seemed like the kids liked mini golf ok, but they loved the bumper boats! Julia said they were her favorite part of the day.


Austin was glad to be tall enough to drive his own boat. He (and all the kids) squirted water at eachother almost non-stop.


Lauren rode with Uncle Tiss and liked squirting the other kids, but didn't want to get wet herself. Chris was a good sport and kept them away from the big kids as much as he could, squirting water, but being too far away to hit anybody. The big kids wanted to get him, though, and tried to follow Chris and Lauren around the lake.


Cassie had her eye on the climbing wall from the time we arrived at Boomers. She's a gymnast and said she's strong and could climb it in 25-30 seconds. Oh boy. After the bumper boats, I wondered where Cassie was, and turned around to look for her, and saw her up this tree!


When I went to talk to Cassie's mom after Awana, to invite Cassie to come with us, we were talking, and I suddenly stopped, realizing I knew her mom (Kari), from somewhere. We figured out we had both been in a mom's group, called Parent Network, when Julia and Cassie were babies, that met at the Rec Center in San Luis Obispo! Kari was one of the moms that started the group Julia and I were in. Each group had a couple moms start the next group. So we hadn't seen each other for about 8 1/2 years. That was fun to catch up some. The moms group I was in turned into a playgroup, but it kind of dissolved when Julia was almost two.

After Boomers we all went to Little Jocko's for lunch, then home for presents and cake. Julia opened her gifts, then the girls looked at all the stuff, especially this book. They were quite interested in it. Brian took all the kids in the backyard, and they played croquet, badminton, and baseball, and just played around. Then we did the cake.

Here are the friends before we left Boomers, then Juila opening presents at home.


Julia got lots of fun stuff: clothes for her American Girl doll, books, a Cinderella Barbie, a kitty in a purse, lipgloss, a Siamese cat nursery set (kind of like Littlest Pet Shop), an outfit, and underwear (which Julia said she did not need--her old underwear still fit fine. LOL).


Cake time


The birthday girl with her cake that morning, and just before she blew out those candles. Cassie kept telling her, "Make a wish! Make a wish!" And Julia said, "But I just got all those nice presents...." :D



The cake was strawberry, Julia's choice, and then I swirled in half of a chocolate cake mix, because I thought the pans didn't look very full of batter with just the strawberry. Julia also chose strawberry ice cream.

No comments: