Friday, May 29, 2009

Julia's 9-Year Pictures

On Monday, Memorial Day, we pretty much just hung around the house. We finally got two hook boards hung in our master bedroom closet. My dad made them in October. I painted them in January (I think...), and now they're finally up. It just seemed we were always running around or someone was sleeping or something, that we didn't do it earlier. We hung up the frame with the four pictures of each baby in the washtub, taken at Sears, too.. Brian has been so busy at work lately that he brought some home and worked on it that day. He grilled turkey burgers for supper. We had turkey burgers with pesto at Lauren's friend Gracie's party, and have made them twice at home. Yummy!

I also took Julia's nine-year pictures. Last week I was searching through Etsy to get some ideas for crocheted baby hats. I love Etsy! There is so much inspiration on there, lots of neat things! And I have to admit, I get some satisfaction out of seeing something cute and knowing that I can recreate it, and for lots less $$. I know it takes my time, but I enjoy figuring out how to do that stuff. The actual making usually doesn't take as long as the planning/figuring. Usually. Hee hee.

I've been wanting to knit hats, but I only am a little familiar with it. I can do it, but it's a challenge because I haven't practiced much. However, I do know how to crochet, though I was pretty rusty. The last time I made anything, other than crocheting beads on baby socks, was an afghan when I was pregnant with Austin! I wanted a project to take along to pass the time driving to Yosemite. Does this sound familiar? You might remember I took along my Project 365 album to work on to pass the time on our drive to Yosemite in April. LOL I don't like to waste that driving time just sitting there! :D

Anyway, I got the bright idea that I could crochet baby hats. Sure enough, I found all sorts of cute ideas and fun (free) patterns here and there online. It wasn't long before my baby hat idea turned into ideas to make all the kids hats! Ha ha. That's how it goes around here. I like projects. I only wish I'd thought of this back in February/March, because these would have been the perfect projects to take to T-Ball practices!! Oh well. I got out my old crochet book to refresh myself on the crochet lingo/stitches, practiced a bit, then started this skull cap for Julia. She loves it! She's worn it to school (minus the big flower, which I pinned on for pictures) most days this week. She also wears it around the house. It's kind of funny/cute to see her doing homework or reading or whatever, wearing that little cap the whole time. Anyway, it didn't take long at all, and now I'm making one for Lauren, different pattern though.








The chair in the picture, Brian's mom gave us. It was his Grandma's, and I think it came from Holland, I think over 50 years ago. The trunk sits on a shelf in our living room. I don't usually like to buy props that I'm just going to use for a picture and then what? So I try to be resourceful.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

My goodness Kristi...Julia is turning into a little lady! How time flies! I sure do see a lot of Colleen in her...