
Julia chose this jumping/bouncing ride (1st picture). Fun! The weight limit for the little rides was 80 lbs., which she is not even close to, but she said those rides looked like fun, but she didn't see any kids her age riding them. Which was true, we didn't until later on when the festival got busier. Before we left all the kids went on the little swing ride there. Basically the same as the airplanes, except you sat in a little chair and went around in circles instead of sitting on an airplane. ;) Caroline got all sorts of comments on her little strawberry hat being perfect for the strawberry festival. Ha! That's why I chose this outfit for her, of course!

They also had bounce houses, inflatable slide, pony rides, and more. There were lots of booths set up on the main street through the village. Vendors were selling all kinds of things: tie-dyed clothes, jewelry, homemade soaps, hair bows, puppets, doll dresses, pillow pets, lots of stuff. We didn't buy anything, though. I thought some of the hair bows would be cute, but have a hard time paying those prices when I think I can make them myself (and in fact, have plans in the works to do just that ;) ) for less than a dollar each, probably more like 50 cents each, depending on the ribbon used.
There were lots of food places set up. The kids all got corn dogs for lunch and Brian and I both got Chinese combo plates with grilled chicken skewers, an eggroll, rice and chow mein noodles. We thought about getting a strawberry treat--shortcake or sundae or something--but we are Dutch, and when we considered paying $7 for a (big) bowl of strawberry shortcake or the fact that we could buy 4 lbs of local strawberries at Costco for $4.99 and I could make a shortcake at home for pennies, and add a little whipped cream, for all of us, plus have leftovers for probably about the same price, we decided to go with the second option. That night I made us our own shortcake at home. :)
The other day Lauren hauled out Julia's box of beads and has been making necklaces and bracelets ever since. Austin got in on the fun too. He made a bead necklace for his friend Kana at school, using appropriate boy colors like blue and green. He brought it to Kana yesterday. Today when I picked Austin up from school he said Kana had given him a turkey feather today. And he was so pleased about that turkey feather, waving it all over. Here Austin is contemplating beading while eating his snack of apples and peanut butter. This is after he had his first snack of string cheese, wheat thins, and strawberries, plus a glass of milk! He's been hungry lately!! Must be growing! Lauren on the other hand, was finishing up her lunch (said she was too full at lunch...) of a tuna sandwich and grapes, plus her eggs from breakfast.



No comments:
Post a Comment